Thursday, March 10, 2011

Here's to History

I've been doing a bit of research on beers of a time gone by. Many of you may already know this information.

It seems that hops were not always the choice bitter for beer. Yes, there was a time when hops were actually scorned as the additive which gave beer that bitter bite that we now all love.

The herbs Yarrow, Sweet Gale, and Marsh Rosemary were used in copious amounts prior to the use of hops. One, hops weren't always available, and two, the sinister three (Yarrow, Sweet Gale and Marsh Rosemary) have a MUCH more intoxicating effect. How much more intoxicating, we'll find out. I've ordered all of the necessary ingredients and I'm going to make a Gruit Ale. I have no idea what to expect.

Word has it, that it produces a sort of euphoric affect, along with a aphrodisiac-al effect for the imbiber. Just what we need at Wisteria, randy people all hopped up (pun intended) on alcohol fueled joy juice.

Be that as it may, I will be making 5 gallons of this as the next batch. However, it has a much longer brew time than I had originally intended. Some need to ferment for up to 8 months. I don't think I want to wait that long, so I'm brewing up something that will come of age in about 8 weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment